The Skidmo Scoop: Campus Events for the Week of October 9th

Things we both like and why

Things We Both Like and Why
Thursday and Friday, October 12th and 13th, 7:00 pm

Here’s the play:

“I like puppies, do you like puppies?”

“Yes, I like puppies.”

“So, we both like puppies?”

“I suppose so.”

“Why do you like puppies?”

“They are cute and make me feel happy and warm.”

“Same.”

But if reading plays were as good as seeing them performed, then theaters wouldn’t exist. If the text above seems interesting and captivating, then come see the play in Studio A, directed by the wonderful Erica Schnitzer.

Pot Painting

Pot Painting
Thursday, October 12th, 8:00-9:00 pm

As part of their Mis Raices Son Week, we wanted to highlight Raices’s pot painting event in Ladd 206. Those in attendance will receive a pot, soil, and seeds to plant, and paint to personalize it all.

Mis Raices Son means “My Roots Are…”

Do you get why the event is what it is now?

So, look: we could’ve made some dumb jokes about decorating marijuana, or gone the whole doom-and-gloom route and mentioned how those plants will probably die in a few days from people forgetting to water them, but we didn’t.

See, we just sincerely thought the whole idea was absolutely adorable, and it made us smile. You’re killing it Raices, and we hope you get tons of people to come!

Cruelty Free

Cruelty-Free Trivia Night
Thursday, October 12th, 9:00-10:30 pm

Great. Another politically correct event on campus. I guess in this trivia night hosted by Skidmore Compassion for All, there will be no cruelty at all. I’m guessing that means no boasting, no gloating, no excitement over anything.

Well guess what, Skidmore Compassion for All, life is cruel. Life is pain. Get over it, and grow up already.

Although if you’re also a liberal snowflake and can’t deal with the cold hard facts of life, then head on over to Spa. I, on the other hand, am too smart and hardened to ever be caught dead at something so happy-go-lucky.

Dodgeball in the Dark

Oktoberfest: Dodgeball in the Dark
Thursday, October 12th, 9:00 pm

Okay, so here’s the thing about Dodgeball in the Dark:

Yeah, yeah, it’s a cool idea; it’s got a catchy name; blah blah blah. Three years ago, when I was a freshman, I decided I’d go to it. You know, maybe make a few friends, have a good time, really connect or something.

After about 10 minutes, some asshole chucked a ball at my face, broke my glasses, chuckled, said, “Sorry, man,” and then picked the ball back up and ran to hit somebody else. I literally picked up what was left of my eyewear, walked back to my dorm, and cried in the shower.

So, no. I 100% will not be attending this event because fuck that noise.

If for some reason you still want to try your luck though, then put in some contacts and go to Case Green.

Oktoberfest BBQ

Oktoberfest: BBQ
Friday, October 13th, 3:00-5:00 pm

At this social event, it’s impossible to lose. If it’s lame and all your super cool friends say, “I can’t believe you went to the Oktoberfest BBQ at Case Green,” then you can be like, “That’s a weird way of including where the event is being held, and also, there was free food there, so obviously I went because I’m a college student and this whole conversation is happening inside something the satire magazine is doing to be relatable.”

Plus, there’s going to be pumpkin carving there, and liking Halloween and being into spooky shit is really in right now.

Quadruple Threat

Quadruple Threat
Friday, October 13th, 9:00-10:00 pm

When comedians aren’t using humor to try and find some sort of connection is this bleak world, they’re usually contemplating why anyone does anything and feeling like they aren’t good enough. All this is to say that the members of Ad-Libs, AKT, Sketchies, and Skidomedy are going to really need you at Filene this Friday! Like really.

Definitely stay for the laughs, but come to validate them. They desperately need it.

Oktoberfest Little Show

Oktoberfest: Little Show
Saturday, October 14th, 1:00-3:00 pm

Basically the appetizer before Oktoberfest’s entrée, the Little Show will host performances from several Skidmore groups and a popcorn bar on the Library Green.

I wonder if the popcorn bartender will be nice? I’m imagining somebody dressed up in circus ringleader garb giving shots of butter and cups full of kernels.  I better not be disappointed, SGA.

Big Show Mick Jenkins

SEC Presents Big Show: Mick Jenkins and Noname
Saturday, October 14th, 8:00 pm

BIG SHOW IS ABOUT TO BE LITTY AF!!!!

If you didn’t get your ticket yet, then you better get on that like ASAP. Otherwise, your drunk ass is going to happily pay $20 for the same thing your more organized friend paid $8 for. Then, you’re going to wake up the next morning and realize what you did. And that will be sad.

Anyways, this year Mick Jenkins and Noname are bringing the rage in the Big Gym. What’s so convenient, is that they’re honestly my two favorite artists! The same way Jungle Pussy was last year.

Advertisements